Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Marina

I went down to the harbor center marina here in beautiful Sheboygan and spoke to the guys there about getting a slip for the upcoming season.  At first I thought I was going to have to get an efficiency dock.  This arrangement would put me all the way back in the sandy shallow area that would be difficult to get out of, and I would have no storage attached to my dock.  Because of a fortunate turn of events and some lucky timing I was able to get a much nicer dock designed for a 35 foot boat over on the outer edge of one of the main docks.  Clear deep water.  Also I'll be over in the neighborhood of the other sailors.  It'll be nice to exchange information and get advice, but on the other hand it might be embarrassing if anything goes wrong while I'm over there.  (It's my first boat people, gimme a break!)  But the dock is going to be cheaper than the efficiency dock and it comes with electricity, water hook ups, and the port for a cable TV. 
I will have access to the pool, the hot tub, the barbecues, the showers, bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen.  I'm seriously thinking I'll just move out of my apartment and live on my boat for the summer.  It would be the equivalent of paying $165 a month for rent as opposed to $315 (plus utilities).  I'm really not seeing a downside here.  I'll be able to save more for my trip to Europe, and I'll be able to get used to living aboard my boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment