Thursday, August 18, 2011

Photoless

I've had a few pretty good days when I've been able to get out and enjoy all of the goodies the Sheboygan has to offer in the summer time.  A friend of mine who I haven't seen in 3 years came back to Wisconsin with her husband for a couple weeks.  It was really good to see her and catch up on all that has changed over the years.  It's so weird to look back at who you were, and see who you've become.
Tuesday I tried going sailing with my brothers and sister.  It was a really gusty west wind.  Getting out of the slip was a test in timing.  Then when we got out the wind was directly behind us and the helm wouldn't answer.  There was too much pressure on one side of the boat.  I had to keep running forward to fend off other boats.  In the end we almost got blown up against the rocks.  Max and I cut our feet jumping off and pushing the boat away.  I think Max has had that experience each time he's been sailing with me.  I would much rather ram my $5000 boat into the rocks than have it even brush up against the $300,000 racing yacht at the end of my dock.  We finally got back to my slip with a little help from a local boater who took a line from us and walked us over.  It was another frustrating day, but we quickly decided to grab the snorkeling gear and dive off the pier.  I practiced holding my breath while walking on the bottom with weight belts.  I think 20 pounds was a bit intense to use for a long time in 12 foot deep water.  My lungs got a good workout though.
The next day I coordinated with a few people to go cliff diving at the local quarry in the morning.  I woke up at 4:45 and we drove over before dawn to dive 20 feet into the lukewarm lake below.  It's a nice rush to wake you up, but because the air was so much colder than the water, we didn't really get out much, we just treaded water for an hour.  At first I wasn't sure if it was legal or not there (that's why we go so early in the morning), but then when we got there we found a sign that asked people not to dump garbage and tables into the quarry.  It said nothing about diving, and there was a knotted rope tied to a tree, making it easier to get back up.... clearly an invitation to dive. 
So after diving and stopping at Big Apple Bagels for breakfast we relaxed in the hot tub for about an hour.  I almost fell asleep cause it was so warm.  The wind was still pretty fresh.  My friend and her husband had never been sailing before, and my other friend who came along had only gone sailing briefly on the 4th of July.  We tried heading out under just main but ran into the same problem of having too much weather helm.  It dawned on me to try heading out under just jib seeing as the wind was coming from behind.  It worked beautifully, and I was able to navigate out of the harbor with no issues. 
One thing we realized after we got out was that the wind was so strong that it would have been stupid to put the main up.  It was the only time I've ever sailed any boat by jib.  I couldn't point as high into the wind, and often I would have to do a huge gybe cause I couldn't get her to go up into the wind and tack.  The waves built up to 4 feet and we had some fun crashing over those.  All of the stuff on my shelves fell down in the cabin.  I think it's funny how much housekeeping I have to do every time I go sailing.  Just think about purposefully putting your house in an earthquake for fun and expecting all the dishes to stay in place.
It was a challenge to tack back into the harbor after a couple hours of sailing, but I think everyone enjoyed the experience.  I learned a lot about sailing in high winds and with less than favorable sail trim.  (I really wish I had self tailing winches, but they are super expensive).
After sailing I worked from 2:00 to 8:00 and then headed back to hang out.  We played a game called fugitive.  Basically it's like tag, hide n' seek, and cross country practice all in one.  You get a group of people starting at one location and they try to get to another area (about 2 miles away) in a specified amount of time while 2 spotters chase everyone down in a car.  If you get spotted by the car then you have to get in the car and try to catch the other runners.  It's good fun, but kind of a work out.  Then we had a bon-fire of an old couch and some Christmas lights.  The copper in the wiring made an electric blue/green flame.  Very cool to see.
On another day they came down at 5:30 so we could go kayaking before work.  It's a good way to start the day.  The lake was peaceful as I glided across the water in a "borrowed" kayak from the Sea Scouts.  (I put it back).  We went over by the beach to practice Eskimo rolls.  I decided to stay above water this time, but someday soon I really want to perfect the art of flipping the kayak right side up without falling out.  We surfed the kayaks on a few small waves for around an hour before putting them away.  I love summer by the beach here in Sheboygan.  I love living on a boat because it's all so much more accessible to me.  Whenever I want to go for an early morning run, or swim, or whatever I can.  The only regret I have is that I have no photographic proof of any of this happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment