Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Late Night Climb

The day after seeing Dark Knight Rises at the midnight release I was feeling uber tired at work.  After all I didn't get to sleep till 4:00 am.  Late in the evening when I was leaving work and planning on sleeping I got a text informing me about $5 rock climbing night starting at 10:00.  Of course I was down for that so we all drove down to Momentum Rock Climbing Gym attached to REI in Sandy, UT and were met by a long line out the door.  I think it's the biggest indoor gym in Utah, and it seemed that $5 night was a popular tradition among many people.  I could glance in the door and see countless towering walls waiting to be scrambled all over.
After a long wait in line and signing a few waiver forms I was given a rather odorous pair of climbing shoes and admitted to the gym.  It was even bigger on the inside than I thought, with places for bouldering, top roping, and lead climbing, there was little to be desired.  I was using my thin, unpadded harness which still did the job OK; it just made me miss my own rope, harness, and shoes.
The climbing extravaganza went until 2am after which my hands could barely grip any holds.  The rocks were getting sweaty, and I was not only sleepy, but physically tired.  I think I'll have to go back and attend this monthly event often.

No comments:

Post a Comment