Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Crunch time

I just got off the phone with the hauling company that's going to be launching my boat.  Apparently it's going to be $250 which is a bit lame since they're only moving it a couple of blocks and I got the same price quote to move the boat about 20 miles before.  Oh well, not much I can do about it.  Also they only have two dates that they're going to be in town rigged to move sail boats: May 9th or June 6th.  My goal was to have her in the water by my birthday, so I don't really want to wait two weeks after that, but the 9th is only two weeks away.  I feel like I could do it if the weather lets up and I take off of work for a week.  I don't want to delay and wait too long, but I don't want to rush into it either. 
I was just down there the other day putting on the first coat of varnish on some of the woodwork.  I need to coat the rest of it, and do another 2-3 coats (with sanding in between coats and 6 hours of dry time).  Right now there's no more dripping or leaking, it's just the soggy decks because while she's on the hard the water pools up.  When she's floating it should drain off in the slots that are cut for that.  All I need to do is patch the drain holes with some epoxy and then paint the undersides with anti-fouling paint.  I'd like to wax the hull and finish varnishing the bright work as well.  If I had 3-4 days of solid work and nice weather on it I'd be good to go. 
I did find a place that has OEM sails in stock for my rig.  They run about $500 a piece.  Less than the $900 per new custom sail, but more than the mismatched ill fitting used sails.  I'll probably go that route since it looks to be a pretty prosperous month for the car business.
So do I ask off of work for a week, or do I wait till June?

No comments:

Post a Comment