Friday, July 15, 2011

What I've done

I had the chance to chat with some really cool people at work yesterday.  There was a group of four who were biking from California to Maine.  It was so fun to speak with others who have similar dreams to go out and face the odds and travel long distances on their own. One of the girls even had her own blog which was really well done.  It really inspired me to keep on working towards my goals.  I'd love to do a biking trip, but the boat trip is at the forefront of my mind right now.  I've had my doubts over the months, but when I think about how far I've come I can't help but keep going.
I guess this is as good a time as any to sum up what I've done in the process here.  So following will be a list of chores I've done and rough costs put into this venture.
  • Find and purchase my Bristol 24                          $1,800 plus tax.
  • Transport it to Sheboygan
  • Paint transom                                                      $20
  • Remove rotten floor in the cabin               
  • Purchase random saws, drills, and other tools      $150
  • Clean out ice box
  • Clean out marine head (toilet)
  • Replace floor with makeshift bunk boards
  • "Install" carpeting                                                $10
  • Sand all of the woodwork to bare wood             $16
  • Varnish all the wood with 3 coats (sanding between coats) $25
  • Paint cockpit
  • Re-Seat stanchion bases                                    $15
  • Buy anchor and chain                                         $55
  • Paint bottom with anti-fouling paint                     $150
  • Buy sails                                                            $1,200
  • Pay for slip at the marina                                    $1,200
  • Install propeller shaft seal
  • Launch boat                                                      $262
  • Raise mast with improper rigging
  • Buy new turnbuckle                                          $80
  • Get new shrouds made                                      $475
  • Raise mast again with new shrouds
  • Buy stay adjusters cause shrouds are too long   $107
  • Jury rig the mast                                               $15
  • Put name on the stern                                       $77
  • Buy dinghy, oars, and dolly                               $310
  • VHF radio                                                       $90
  • GPS                                                                $95
  • New compass                                                 $215
  • Portable running lights                                      $20
  • Repaint waterline
  • New dorade vents                                           $90
  • Stove and propane                                          $30
  • Fenders                                                           $90
  • New halyards, sheets, and blocks                     $260
So all in all I've spent around $7,000 on my little home that I plan to travel in.  I guess it really is true what they say: "A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into."

No comments:

Post a Comment