Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Venetian night

I decided it was about time I got my rig fixed, I couldn't stand to see the mast so lopsided.  Apart from having nightmares that the rig was going to come toppling down in the middle of the night, I always felt like the boat was really top heavy; she was very reluctant to come back to center after I stepped on one side of the deck.  I replaced the rickety bolts with some shackles rated to 1,000 pounds, and 1,500 pounds.  I'm still not sure if those are strong enough.  I'd feel safer if they were rater to 5,000 pounds, but then again I really don't have a firm grasp on just how much pressure the sails create on the rig.  I just hear so many horror stories that I figure I would rather be safe than sorry.

My niece helped make sure the bow pulpit was sturdy.

 After setting the rig the boat felt much more normal, like a boat should.  I put the sails up for the first time just to check that they fit.  The main seemed a bit short, and the jib is cut really high, but as long as it works then I won't complain.
The weather was so nice and warm.  I met up with my friend, Sarah, and we walked over to the riverfront to watch the Venetian Nights boat parade.  Boat owners from around the area go all out decorating their boats with all manner of lights and sounds so they can cruise up and down the river showing off for the city.  One guy even had a man up in a crow's nest like on a pirate ship!


Afterwards we went to a bonfire for a short time.  There's nothing better than boats and bonfires in the summer time.  This is when I love Sheboygan!

No comments:

Post a Comment