Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Erased Entry

OK so I just wrote a big huge blog entry, and right as I was coming t the end of it I must have typed to fast, because it erased everything!
    "Let me explain.....No there is too much.  Let me sum up."

Day off: spent some money.  I went to Sears to buy tools, and then to Home Depot to get some adhesives.  My project for the day was reseating the stanchion bases.  Stanchions hold the lifelines up, which in turn hold me on the boat if I lose my footing.
I wanted to reinforce them, so I took them off, used some Loctite Joining compound to seal it back down.  I went to a hardware store to buy bigger washers, and longer bolts to use.  I'm hoping now that the lifelines will be much safer, although I must admit I enjoy the wider decks without them there.
I finished reading my two cruising books.  The authors seemed to contradict each other.  Some say that the smaller boat is safer.  Others say that a 55 foot boat is small.
As for me, I like my choice.  It will allow me the most freedom.  That's the great thing about sailing, it can free you from all the problems of the modern world.  You only bring with you what you want to.  You must learn patience because once you're out there, no amount of whining and crying will make the wind blow any harder.  There is the escape from social obligations, from employment, and many others.  Sails are quiet, and the wind is free.  The sea does not discriminate.  The nice thing is that most of the earth is water.  On every other vehicle or mode of transportation you must either be strapped into a seat, or confined to roads, rails, or predetermined routes.  I love the idea of the freedom out there; the opportunity to see who you really are when everything else is stripped away.  But then again I'm speaking as if I had already been out there.  These are just ramblings in anticipation.

I did find out that someone does own the land that my boat is one.  I hope I don't have to move it.  I guess we'll just wait and see.  I've also gotten a few price quotes.  Kelly-Hansen sails seem to be the most affordable right now.  We'll see what JSI can offer me.  I'd love to go with North Sails, but they are just too dang pricey.
As well a trailer custom built for my Bristol 24 would only run about $5,000.  But when you consider I only spent $2,000 for the boat, it seems a bit out of whack.  It all depends on money at this point.  I can always make due with bare bones, but there are some things that can't be skimped on.  Like safety.

Well thanks for reading, and clicking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment