Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Worth it

So today's weather was amazing, and so of course I was down at the boat.  A lot of sawing and gutting.  I had intended to wait until I had power tools to finish removing the cabin sole, but I couldn't take having half of it missing so I went to work with a hand saw.  It was back breaking work, but I loved every minute of it.  Every man needs a project I think.
So I was down in the bilge trying to figure out a way to rip out the plywood more efficiently.  There is a long metal rod left over from something.  Not sure what it is, but it worked very well as a crow bar.
I still have some cleaning up to do, but now at least it's all dry and ready to be rebuilt.  I was thinking about  putting in a wooden floor, but those tend to soak up so much moisture that years from now it'd all have to be redone.  Also I want to make sure it's level.  So what I think I am going to do is pour a whole lot of epoxy resin down there to make a level, solid, dry floor, and then maybe carpet over it.  We'll see.
I had fun clamboring all over sanding down the wood work.  I oiled the bow pulpit today, and introduced the boat to my younger brother and sister for the first time.  I can't wait to get her in the water.  But there's another $100 worth of cosmetics that need to go into it, then about $1800 for the right sails.  We'll see how far I get before summer.
Cutting out small portions of flooring

My "crow bar"

The nasty stuff under the floor

Just about gone

all the wood I removed

Now I just have to put a floor in there

No comments:

Post a Comment