Monday, June 13, 2011

Oatmeal

I finally bought a stove for my boat.  I decided on an inexpensive camp stove that runs on propane.  I've heard that propane is easily obtainable and heats very well, but it sinks and if there's any stray gas in your bilge, the slightest spark could cause my boat to explode!  Not too worried about a catastrophic explosion from a 20oz. canister I decided to risk it.
After I had gotten it all set up in the galley I read the owner's manual.  Apparently it is only to be used outdoors in open spaces because it can create carbon monoxide (which also sinks but is odorless) and that can poison you.  I figure I've got pretty good ventilation on the boat, but seeing as I died from CO poisoning when I was a little kid.  We were moving out in the country in Utah and just transferring stuff out of the camper we were using as a moving van.  My brothers and I were too young to be any help so we just sat on a couch playing spaceship while my parents and older sister worked.  There was a generator running to provide power for us, and I guess we all figured since it was outside that it would be fine.  Even sitting 6 or so feet away from the generator I was still able to inhale enough exhaust to make me feel really sleepy.  My parents couldn't wake me up.  Unbeknownst to me I was hung upside down and slapped in the face to get some response out of me.  It was only after I was made to walk around for a bit in the fresh air that I regained consciousness.  A scary experience, but it was a good thing it happened than and there, otherwise we might have unwittingly parked the generator too close to the house and we all might ave died in the night.
I keep the propane cylinder outside when I sleep and just to be safe I left a candle burning on the floor as I cooked my first hot meal aboard; oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment