Friday, June 24, 2011

Second attempt

I was beginning to wonder if the Marina was ever going to get around to making my new rigging for the mast, it had been a couple of weeks.  I got a call on Tuesday from Gary in Manitowoc saying that he had gotten the parts in and that they should be done by the end of the night.  I didn't expect him to call me so soon afterwards to inform me that they were all done.  I was already on my way. 
I called in my siblings to help put the mast up.  I got the mast flipped over (smashed the steaming light in the process), re-attached the shrouds, and taped up the turnbuckles.  Every time I got out on deck to try and do some work the weather turned against me.  It has been raining a lot for summer over the last few weeks.  I get really frustrated when I'm so close to getting something I've been working, waiting, and paying for and other things crop up that are out of my control.  As I got more and more frustrated I got pretty snippy with my family.  I don't know why, but I expect everyone to be able to read my mind and just get the heck out of the way when I'm in a bad mood.  I hope they forgive me for being mean, I just wanted to get it done.
Needless to say that with the torrential downpour and the wind I did not get my mast up.  I'm still unsure as to whether the fore stay and back stay are going to be the right length.  The weather looks like it'll be good for tonight after work.  Luckily it's been staying light until around 9:00, but it has been around 55 degrees and rainy for far too long.  The cabin on my boat is constantly damp and my towel never dries out.  My dinghy is almost completely full of rainwater.  I haven't had time to bail her out yet.  The weather is reminding me a lot of Wales and England.  It rained a lot there, but then again everything was always so lush and green.  I miss it over there, but I want Sheboygan to finally get into summer mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment