Tuesday, May 31, 2011

First sail of the season

Happy Memorial Day!  Well, that was yesterday, but it was a good one.  The weather could not have been more perfect yesterday. 12-15 knot winds for most of the day blowing warm, moist air up from the Gulf of Mexico.  The sun was shining, and the air was hot.  As soon as work was over I rushed to the Marina and hopped aboard Aequitas to change clothes.  In the slip right next to mine there is a nice couple (and their dog) that live aboard an O'Day 30 on the weekends.  She looks to be a pretty nice vessel.  I met them last week and they said I was welcome to join them anytime I wanted to go out on the water.  I at first thought it was just a nice gesture, but as I was walking down the dock one of them met me and asked where I was all day.  Apparently they had gone out for a sail and the fog had fallen on them with a vengeance and they could have used an extra hand to get back into the harbor.  I was surprised that she even remembered my name (because I must confess that I cannot remember hers for the life of me). 
My friend, Sarah, was in town for the weekend; so we got together to go sailing.  Luckily the Sea Scout's Flying Junior sailboats (14' college racing dinghies) were rigged and ready to go.  We grabbed the essentials: life jackets, sails, rudder, tiller, paddle; out of the locker and got going as quickly as possible.  We were out on the water for about 2 hours.....Amazing!  It almost surprises me every time when I remember how in love with sailing I am.  It's nice to feel like there is something in this life that I was born to do.  The raw power of the wind being harnessed by contoured slabs of fabric.  It's rewarding to be able to utilize and in some ways control two of earth's most powerful elements: wind and water.

I, for the most part, stayed dry while Sarah got a good deal of spray as we pounded over 1-2 foot waves.  I'll have to take more pictures next time so you can all see what Sheboygan looks like from outside of the harbor.  Until then, thanks for reading.  Feel free to leave comments below, or ask questions.  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Why do we assume that people are just being nice when they really, truly like us??? I wouldn't invite a strange young man to help me crew my boat unless I really meant it. Did we learn nothing from "And the Sea Will Tell"?
    As for names, just keep calling them ma'am and sir until they say "Please call me, (fill in the blank).

    ReplyDelete