Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Living aboard

I have officially slept aboard the boat every night this week.  For some reason it's a lot warmer in the harbor than it was up on land.  It's very peaceful to get rocked to sleep at night by the little waves in the marina.  For some reason I can't explain the boat starts tugging at her lines a lot each morning around 5:30.  Maybe it's just cause I stir around in my sleep and that moves the whole hull, or maybe there's a strange current under the boat.  Not quite sure about that. 
One annoying thing that is causing me a little distress is the constant drip coming from the through hull port under the sink in the galley.  It's not much, but over the 12-13 hours I'm gone each day I get about a half gallon of water in the bilge.  I would be much more comfortable if it was bone dry each day.  I keep thinking she's gonna sink because I didn't patch her well enough.  There could be water slowly seeping into the keel and I wouldn't know.  I'm sure she'll be fine.  I guess it's not bad for being a 40 year old boat that hasn't been in the water in at least 5 years.
I got paid yesterday and immediately ordered sails and a turnbuckle for the rig.  I still won't know if it all fits until I try to put the mast up; I can't wait to go sailing though.  I think my first sail of the year will be my first sail ever on this boat.  It's going to be tricky without an engine, but if the wind is favorable then I won't hesitate. 
I had some friends stop by last night to visit.  Until I get a battery on board I'm going to be living by candle light.  I think tomorrow will be my first self-sufficient day at the marina.  I'll bring some food down for breakfast, and some toiletries so I can just shower up at the Harbor Center. 
And as for the name of my vessel.  Although I haven't painted the transom yet, I have settled on a name (it's on the insurance and in the marina's records).  And from hence forth she shall be known as:  Aequitas.   It is Latin for Justice.  I figured it looked cool, and anybody that has ever seen "Boondock Saints" will get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment