Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A hard day's night

The only way to get rid of a dream is to forget about it or chase it down till you fulfill it.  Sometimes you need to make sacrifices to chase your dreams and reach your goals; today that sacrifice takes the shape of sleep.  Since I've been working so much I really don't have any time to work on my boat during the day, so I decided I could squeeze in a few hours after work to prep for more varnishing.  Unfortunately since I didn't get done with work until 8:30 and I had to run other errands I didn't get down there until 10:00.  Once I get something in my head I stick to it till it's done: so even though it was late I got to work. 
All but the rub rails have been varnished and so I had to sand everything down with 220 grit sandpaper until it was smooth.  Luckily I didn't need to see much to do this, so I worked by touch.  I did invest in a few small tea light candles to keep the cabin lit without the need of batteries (it looked pretty cool).
After about two-and-a-half hours of sanding I was finally done and about collapsed from being so sleepy.  I haven't gotten the best sleep over the past couple of days.  I had the foresight to bring along a pillow and sleeping bag, and thus I spent my first night on my boat.  I'm planning on living on it for the summer, so no reason not to get used to it now. 
I curled up in the foreward cabin and slept the best I could manage.  It dropped a little below 40 degrees, so it wasn't too toasty, and the amount of caffeine I had consumed to fuel my night time sanding party kept my mind running at full tilt long after my body was done for the day.  Now sitting here at the computer is interesting seeing as I woke up at 5:20 am to get my brother to seminary class at the church on time. 
I did notice that the sky began to get bright around 4:00 am, so I might just wake up early to get some work done as opposed to staying up late.  It's all good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment